Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The argument that made me unlikely to vote for Clinton in the general election (if she cheats her way to get there)

It's the "John McCain would be a better president than Barack Obama" argument (roughly paraphrased) that finally pushed me over the edge. Any illusion that Hillary Clinton was a team player disappeared as soon as I heard that one, and I immediately wondered whether or not the conservatives might not have been right about the Clintons all along. I still don't think they had a CIA Wet Team gun down Vince Foster or anything, but when you look at how the Clinton Administration benefited Democrats (aside from Bill, it didn't, and the Dems were the minority party) and liberalism (ha ha! Here's a few letters for you: DOMA and DMCA) it was clear that moving the conversation to the left was less of a priority than getting Bill Clinton high approval marks.

Still, this argument crosses the line by about a mile. Has Clinton ever heard of "nobody hits my brother but me?" I can't believe that this was allowed to stand. I've historically tended to be an apologist for the Clintons, but my eyes are wide open now. And she's still saying this stuff. I can't help but think that I was wrong all these years. What other explanation is there for this, other than that she wants to sufficiently bloody up Barack Obama so that he loses to John McCain? And then she says she wants to be on the same ticket with him. No shame.

I honestly don't know what I'll do if Hillary Clinton gets the nomination. I cannot in good conscience vote for a woman whose actions place little to no import on the state of the Democratic Party and the progressive coalition. This kind of shit is unforgivable--it's not partisanship, it's anti-partisanship, all for the sake of garnering some power for Hillary Clinton. I'm so infuriated by this that I find it difficult to imagine that that anger will ever abate.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.