Saturday, March 22, 2008

Clinton and honesty

Hillary Clinton is considered far less trustworthy than Barack Obama or John McCain, and Steve Benen wonders why here. The article hit a chord with me: I got a little self-reflexive for a second and wondered why I had so little trust in Hillary when I couldn't really name too many really big lies that her campaign had disseminated. I was reevaluating things until I scrolled down and saw this comment fragment by commenter "Always hopeful":

You can’t trust someone who “will do anything to win”.

I think this is about right. She's been dishonest about NAFTA, Ireland, and other things, but I think that the "she'll do anything to win" factor that makes people queasy. I think a lot of people figure that will come to mean that as soon as she secures the nomination she'll start talking about fiscal conservatism and balanced budgets again, like she used to. She'll move to the center because that's where she thinks elections are won. How many times in this campaign has she fallen victim to the Beltway consensus? On foreign policy, certainly. She has shown a fundamental inability to see outside the box in this election, a lack of imagination. Perhaps that's why most thinking people support Obama...

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.