Saturday, March 8, 2008

Iraq Reconstruction

Andrew answers one of his readers' letters here. I agree with the sentiment, though not necessarily the analogy as such. Reconstruction was certainly a bad deal for a lot of people, and corruption certainly was rampant, but it definitely made things better for African-Americans, no? During Reconstruction, the percentage of the nation owned by Blacks went from, well, zero to around two percent. I believe it's three percent now. I've heard the theory that sharecropping was worse than slavery because at least slavery was honest exploitation, but I disagree. Now one can say that Reconstruction was a bad idea from the outset because it fostered racial hostilities that are with us to this day, but at the time there were (and still are) no easy answers to the question of how to enfranchise Blacks. Things are better now, but without Reconstruction, they would undoubtedly have been worse.

I was also under the impression that Jim Crow started up after Reconstruction, but I'm less sure
about that. I need to read more on the aftermath of the Civil War, that's for sure.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.