Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Hillary has reverse momentum

This seems entirely plausible to me (via Ross Douthat). It seems like Clinton is, ironically, a better insurgent who's down for the count and rallying to keep going than she is a solid, professional frontrunner. This is, actually, a very good reason not to give her the nomination in my mind--people who perform better when they're losing and under pressure tend to try to engineer situations in which those circumstances apply, and I don't trust HRC's ability to come from behind against McCain that much.

The way the media has been covering this campaign has been pretty annoying as well. They're acting like it's pretty much tied up post-Texas. It's not. Obama leads in every way, still. They're covering the race like Obama really needs to pick it up in order to win, when it's Clinton that has a lot of ground to cover. I know the euphoria must be running high today among Camp Clinton, but in a few days she might want to consider a graceful exit--it might make sense to drop out on a high note, say something about how the math is too difficult, how she doesn't want to pull the party apart, etc. It would confound those of us whose view of her has become quite unfavorable and it would allow her to make it look like she's exiting on her own terms. I have no expectation that this will happen.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.