Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Of the many reasons for Democrats (como mi) to support Barack Obama, this is one of the most compelling: he is not going to just try to win the traditionally Democratic states plus rack up enough swing votes to put him over the top. Obama seems to sincerely believe that this country is ready for a change--which of course means a change in a more liberal direction--and he's not going to run another timid, centrist campaign in which he continually attacks his friends to prove he's not one of "those liberals," especially compared to the more cautious campaign that Clinton has run and would run in the general election. I don't care what Paul Krugman says--this is something that hasn't been seen in American politics since, I don't know, Lyndon Johnson, and that was almost a half century ago. Before him, the only ones I can think of are FDR and William Jennings Bryan. Maybe Truman. The point is that Obama could really shift the center of gravity in American politics, and it's too good an opportunity to pass up, in my opinion.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.