Thursday, March 13, 2008

Why do I let myself get surprised at the idiocy of the right wing?

Really? I know that the Wall Street Journal Op-Ed group is what it is, but the idea that Barack Obama has deployed the race card too quickly is silly. Compared to how long it took Clinton's campaign to get Samantha Power fired for her "sexist" remark, I'd say that the Obama campaign acted quite evenhandedly. And there's a willful obtuseness here: Geraldine Ferraro didn't just say that Obama owed his position to his race. She then said that anyone who criticized her was racist against her because she was White. What a hateful broad--she needs to climb back under the rock from whence she crawled. Isn't it enough that she ruined one Democratic presidential campaign that she's then got to ruin another one?

I do find this movement among conservatives in many quarters toward Clinton to be intriguing. It seems entirely cynical--they think she'll be easier to beat than Obama, on one hand. And if she wins, she's less of a rebuke of George Bush--nobody believes she's a sincere war opponent, and she's heavily invested in a Rovian style of politics. She seems highly disinclined to make any bold foreign policy moves, as she's been in the Beltway bubble too long and she's been too corrupted by that consensus. She'd probably be okay on domestic policy, but that isn't enough. I'm amazed by the cynicism--after all the bloviating, by Limbaugh and others, on the evils of the Clintons for decades, to switching to supporting them out of some perceived advantage electorally lays bare the hollowness of the conservative movement today. It's just about winning. That's all. That just doubles my resolve to support Obama.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.