Thursday, March 27, 2008

Polling

Preliminary results from Hillary Clinton's "I'm just gonna smear Obama" thrust are in, and things are not looking good for Mrs. Clinton. Clinton only edges McCain by three points in the states of California and Connecticut, blue states that Kerry won handily and that Barack Obama carries handily by margins of nine and seventeen percentage points, respectively. And she claims that Obama is unelectable?

The California thing should be a wakeup call to uncommitted superdelegates. Only about a third of the country likes her at this point, and it would appear that California will be in play in the general election with Hillary at the top of the ticket. Prior to this it made more sense to let the process play out--after all, it seemed as though Clinton and Obama were equally as electable. I think that there are now enough data points to indicate that she has alienated independents, and her ability to carry California as a Democrat seems iffy at this point, which would be fatal in a general election. It's time for the superdelegates to step in--these data provide some decent cover.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.