Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Spitzer is not out

My guess: Spitzer doesn't resign. My guess is that he couches this in some sort of argument along the lines of "being able to fight back" more effectively as governor and that resigning would just seal the verdict. I like this--it used to be when somebody did something unconscionably heinous that dishonored themselves and their family, they'd resign to spare themselves and their family the humiliation. I guess people these days figure that the media cycle is so short that they'll be able to weather scandals like this by waiting for the voters to stop paying attention. Hence, Al Gonzales, Dave Vitter, and Larry Craig. It's called making the Feiler Faster Principle work for you. It might also have something to do with a complete lack of shame in our society. It used to be that taking naked pictures of yourself would end your career--now, they can start it, though probably not in my case.

Update: I could be wrong. Wouldn't Dave Paterson taking over for Spitzer be sort of a boon to Obama? After all, there haven't been too many Black governors in U.S. History, and adding another one might make the whole "Black President" thing a bit less strange-seeming. Maybe he doesn't have to worry about that anyway.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.