Wednesday, September 10, 2008

An interesting thought

I realize they're doing it for their benefit now--and to thrill the base--but I wonder if Serwer isn't right and that the McCain campaign's ultra-protectiveness of Sarah Palin might not eventually give the impression that she can't stand on her own two feet. And this is a problem for them. At this point I'm mainly worried that Palin's star power won't wear off and that she'll suck the air out of the room to discuss anything else. If it starts to dissipate--if the luster wears off and there's a Bennifer-style backlash to Palin's celebrity--then McCain's in trouble. Then again, right now he seems to be taking inspiration from the U. S. Men's soccer team by getting up by a small amount and trying to run out the clock. It does open a possibility for Obama to try to rebrand himself as the serious, solutions-oriented candidate, which I hope he does. I have some ideas for possible Obama ads on this theme, I'll share them in time.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.