Thursday, September 25, 2008

McCain/Agnew '08

The parallels fit, don't they? Both were one-term governors. Both had been local politicians before that. Both were picked without full knowledge of what they were about and what they stood for--both didn't really know themselves what they stood for. And both have been a huge headache to their running mates.

Of course, there are some differences. For one thing, Spiro Agnew wasn't embargoed from the press. For another, he managed to be a good civil rights governor of Maryland, as opposed to Palin's vetoing of benefits for gay partners. And Agnew started out as a reasonable moderate before becoming a nutty right-wing figure, while Palin's already there and trying her best to hide it. The comparisons are actually favorable to Agnew. Of course, Sarah Palin hasn't taken any bribes that we know of. But she's abused her authority in ways nearly as bad (see: Monegan, Walt). Personally, I think using your power to ruin the life of a state trooper is worse than taking money in exchange for doling out construction contracts--it's corrupt but nobody gets ruined by it--but then again I'm in the tank for Obama.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.