Saturday, September 13, 2008

Which of the two candidates was a more active legislator?

Hilzoy looks at what the two candidates actually did in Congress. As it turns out, while McCain has enacted slightly more bills, Obama has been far more active in passing amendments. And Obama has been far more broad in his legislative interests. So far this term, McCain has passed one of his own bills and has another one on the calendar, and it is a pressing one:
S. 84: A bill to establish a United States Boxing Commission to administer the Act, and for other purposes.

Clearly, McCain's very interested in the most important issues of the day. In the meanwhile, Obama has two bills pending:
S. 453: A bill to prohibit deceptive practices in Federal elections.
S. 2433: A bill to require the President to develop and implement a comprehensive strategy to further the United States foreign policy objective of promoting the reduction of global poverty, the elimination of extreme global poverty, and the achievement of the Millennium Development Goal of reducing by one-half the proportion of people worldwide, between 1990 and 2015, who live on less than $1 per day.

That's not change we can believe in!

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.