Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Palin's popularity precipitous

It's gone down, big time. Matt Yglesias uses this as a retort to the many, many people who said that attacking Sarah Palin was bad, that it would cause a backlash, etc. I think it has more to do with the simple fact that, as people have gotten to know Sarah Palin they've come to like her less. And that's totally understandable--her social views are hard right, she's clearly not up to the job of president, and despite having an appealing story and personality she has some sleaze in her background. Plus, there's that (much-lauded!) convention speech that I think was not as effective as many think. She came across as just another partisan Republican while McCain was trying to make a show of bipartisanship.

Still, she's now got a negative approval rating? I didn't think it would happen this fast. My initial thought after that speech--and hearing all the Republicans talk about how they had found their Obama--was that they'd actually found their Hillary Clinton, minus all the policy knowhow. Something tells me that she's not going to be the magic band-aid to bring John McCain into the White House.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.