Tuesday, September 30, 2008

McCain dumbassery alert

Okay, I can understand the Clinton reference: she is a pretty big liar (though she's not as smart or talented as Bill, at that or anything else), but Sarah Palin as Reagan? We'll see how well she debates tonight, but I think the Spiro Agnew comparison fits best. Reagan was an unparalleled orator and debater during his time, Palin delivered one speech whose only novelty was that a woman was delivering it. It was the same culture war garbage the GOP has been throwing out since, well, Reagan. Palin's speech was completely substance free, and it didn't even get at telling us much about her.

I'm actually hoping that Palin turns in an acceptable debate performance. The right-wingers will say that they were right, Palin merely needed to be "freed," and demand for a more public role for her will be overwhelming. And that's when she'll really start to tank. At the end of the day, after McCain loses, the one thing that Republicans will really hate him for will be ruining Sarah Palin's prospects.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.