Friday, May 15, 2009

Attention, Ricky Gervais! You have a new competitor.

I've never been a big fan of Newt Gingrich, though before very recently I was mostly indifferent, perhaps even positively disposed toward the Speaker/adulterer. I kinda hoped he would run for president in 2008 because, unlike the 10 guys who chose to run for the Republican Party, Newt actually seemed to want to have a debate on issues that the GOP hasn't ever bothered with, and it often seemed like he was more interested in wonkery than in partisanship. My, how the times have changed. This ABC News interview is rather hilarious in its irony:
"I think she has lied to the House, and I think that the House has an absolute obligation to open an inquiry, and I hope there will be a resolution to investigate her. And I think this is a big deal. I don't think the Speaker of the House can lie to the country on national security matters,” Gingrich said.
Not about national security matters, sure. Only about personal matters, like boinking someone who isn't your wife and then intoning about moral values.
He continued: "I think this is the most despicable, dishonest and vicious political effort I've seen in my lifetime."
This one's almost too easy. Impeachment, anyone? Let's just call this one projection.
"She is a trivial politician, viciously using partisanship for the narrowest of purposes, and she dishonors the Congress by her behavior."
I don't know what he means by "trivial", though I suspect that if Nancy Pelosi is a trivial politician that Newt Gingrich must be one too--perhaps even more so as Pelosi actually wields a great deal of power at the moment. But I suppose Newt would know a lot about narrow partisanship and dishonoring Congress.

Gingrich is just an embarrassment at this point: a walking talking point of a has-been who is trying desperately to reclaim his relevance. This interview reminds me of Ricky Gervais's painfully oblivious performance as David Brent in The Office, as a silly man who fancies himself deep, and possesses little self-awareness or appreciation for irony.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.