Friday, May 15, 2009

A question

New Hampshire is set to legalize gay marriage, but only if language is added to the bill insuring that religious organizations and florists, caterers and the like are not required to participate in gay marriages if they don't want to. I must admit I don't understand the point of this language. Is there a law somewhere saying that florists are required to work any wedding they're offered? I thought that those signs that some places have about how they have the right to refuse service to anyone were based on some sort of ordinance, right? And aren't religious institutions protected by, you know, the First Amendment? I don't really care if such language is added to these bills--especially if they make it easier for them to pass--but I don't understand the motive if none of this is in question.

This is something I find quite odd about some conservatives--they tend to seek out laws for things that haven't happened--indeed, that haven't even been discussed, like bringing back the fairness doctrine--and yet they don't believe that the commander-in-chief should be bound by any law at all ever. And some of them believe in black helicopters. I just find it baffling that they are insistent on evenhanded application of the law in some situations but indifferent at others. Developing a consistent pro-law stance could help your credibility in the future, methinks.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.