Thursday, May 28, 2009

Have Jim Jones run for something. I'll vote for him.

Our National Security Adviser, sluffing off the ideology of national security:
"I think that the former vice president knows full well that perfection is an impossible standard" and that the United States can only do its best to "keep threats at bay and as far away from our shores as possible."
Wait, you mean that national security policy involves tradeoffs? You mean that we can't just kick ass and eliminate evil altogether, like those folks at Wingnut Standard want to do? Clearly this man is not a Serious Person. In any event, knowing that this man holds high office in America makes me a lot more optimistic about our future. And the fact that Obama has read some Niebuhr also gives me some hope.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.