Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Let's put a politician on the court

I find this piece to make a pretty good argument for not appointing yet another Ivy-educated appellate judge on the Supreme Court. Frankly, having a Court on which everyone has roughly the same educational and legal background seems really undesirable, and insisting that every member of the Court be an ivory-tower intellectual--it seems like one encounters this mindset only when discussing the Supremes--makes for a judicial body that is going to be blinkered and susceptible to groupthink when it's not engaging in rampant partisanship. I personally think that Governor Deval Patrick of Massachussetts would make an excellent Supreme Court judge based on what I've read of him, and a lot of our most successful and noteworthy jurists (Frankfurter, Warren, Black) were politicians and not just legal scholars.

Silverstein goes over the risks of appointing a politician, and I think they're certainly there. There's also certainly a danger of even further politicizing the judiciary (though I fear that we've long since crossed that bridge). But I tend to think that having at least one justice worried about the practical aspects of implementing Court rulings is really an important thing to have.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.