Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The most moronic public debate this country has ever had

It is unclear to me what the right hopes to accomplish with this Guantanamo nonsense--aside from perhaps--perhaps--making people a little freaked out about terrorists for a few moments. It seems like this will ultimately come to naught, as Obama isn't actually proposing to set terrorists free. Are they that desperate to win news cycles? It's a complete fucking lie that the media won't call, partly because we lack a real news media in this country--just a bunch of pathetic stenographers, all hoping to be the next Cokie Roberts. But that's another discussion altogether.

It is baffling to me that Democrats are taking this seriously. This sort of attack reeks of desperation. The public, after eight years of terror fear-mongering, is mostly inured to it. One suspects that moderate Democrats still fear the GOP's terror attacks innately, which were so successful that they got the GOP a total of...altogether a handful of Senate seats in 2002 and 2004 combined, a few House seats (excluding the gerrymandered DeLay ones in Texas) and it only helped to ultimately destroy their credibility on national security. It strikes me that the Democrats have some serious purging to do--not necessarily ideologically, just of all the Clinton-era Democrats who live in constant fear of this nonsense--and who think that the worst insult is to be called liberal.

But the most fascinating thing about this story is that Dianne Feinstein is standing up for common sense and calling bullshit on this nonsense. She's not exactly known for, well, courage. Thanks, Dianne! Sanity can at least be found somewhere.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.