Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Limits of Power

I've been reading Andrew Bacevich's The Limits of Power. It's a good book. Really, really good. So far as I can tell, it's both indubitably correct and completely politically incorrect. Not in the "Why can't we tell racist jokes anymore?" wingnut sense, but rather in the Things That No Politician Can Ever, Ever Say way. His message is essentially conservative, but it's my kind of conservatism, and I suspect that you'd find more people on the left these days who believe that America cannot continue to exist unbounded than you could on the right. I've heard enough Rush Limbaugh to know that the conservative base is totally on board with conspicuous consumption.

In other words, a conservative movement more like Andrew Bacevich would be a good thing. Instead, it's just a bunch of pathetic overgrown bullies playing at facile manipulations while the country burns. When I read stuff like this I realize just how far round the bend the GOP really has gone. Evidently profanity, debauchery, and intemperance are the cornerstones of contemporary conservatism, right alongside Christianity. Just another sign of the utter Dixification of the Republican Party, and concomitantly its death spiral.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.