Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The GOP and foreign policy, continued

No sooner do I write about Jon Huntsman and the GOP's national security problem than do I get some proof of my theory:

President Obama has a 64%-31% approval rating on national security, and a 61%-31% rating on fighting terrorism -- both higher than his overall approval of 58%-33%. In addition, likely voters say by a 55%-37% margin that Obama's policies are increasing America's security -- rejecting the alternative statement that he's undermining security.

Indeed, a 51%-44% majority agreed with this statement: "President Bush's foreign and national security policies undermined America's security."

On national security overall, the Republicans have a statistically insignificant edge of 43%-41% over the Dems, and it's a dead-even tie of 41%-41% for the War on Terror. The GOP maintains a 53%-35% advantage on "ensuring a strong military," but the Dems have a 52%-35% lead on "foreign policy," a 44%-32% lead on Afghanistan, and a 47%-37% lead on Iraq.

I find it rather incredible (as in surprising, not as in not credible) that a majority of people actually think G. W. Bush made America less safer. Of course he did, but the GOP seems intent to defend his moves as commander-in-chief to the bitter end. I think this does go to show you that Bushian foreign policy isn't necessarily an electoral winner, and that Democrats can compete if they offer a more reasonable alternative.

This being said, I am worried about Obama's Iraq and Afghanistan policies, and I'm not entirely sure what the "Republican" solution on Afghanistan is--though that's been true throughout the conflict there. I simply don't see a Republican revival happening without some sort of significant advantage on these kinds of issues, and right now Republicans not only lack the sorts of figures to articulate what a conservative foreign policy might look like, but they also lack the willingness to own up to the failures of the Bush team. I suspect that we'll need to see these things and see a huge Democratic screw-up on foreign policy before the GOP even has a chance to compete nationally again.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.