Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Harry, Harry

Since everyone else is piling on:

REID: I’m saying that the United States Senate, Democrats and Republicans, do not want terrorists to be released in the United States. That’s very clear.

QUESTION: No one’s talking about releasing them. We’re talking about putting them in prison somewhere in the United States.

REID: Can’t put them in prison unless you release them.

QUESTION: Sir, are you going to clarify that a little bit? …

REID: I can’t make it any more clear than the statement I have given to you. We will never allow terrorists to be released in the United States.

(H/t: Sullivan's place.) Look, I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The man fundamentally lacks the guts for the job. He's one of those Clinton-era Democrats who is too anxious to apologize for what he is, too scared of the right-wing noise machine, and fundamentally too soft to be an effective leader, having already been rolled by Roland Burris and Joe Lieberman within the last year, and his standoffs over the Iraq War were embarrassing. This takes the cake, though--I find it hard to believe that poor old Harry is going to be the Democrats' Senate leader after the next election.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.