Monday, October 13, 2008

Joe Biden's moment

In his home home state, Joe Biden has a 2:1 ratio of favorability to unfavorability. He blows Sarah Palin and John McCain out of the water. One of the interesting things to see this election cycle is just how popular Joe Biden has become. Initially, he had something in the range of a 40-39 spread in most polls, but he's actually become quite popular, and he's popular in areas (like Pennsylvania and Florida) where it's really helped the Democratic ticket. From that standpoint alone the pick was an astonishing success, and with Palin it's been the mirror image.

I always figured that, the more people got to know Joe Biden, the more they'd like him. I actually never thought (initially) that people would like Sarah Palin less the more they saw of her. This election has given me much more faith in American democracy than I had before, much more faith in Barack Obama's ability to truly change this country, and much more faith in Joe Biden. I'm feeling optimistic, though I can't wait for this election season to be over.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.