Thursday, October 2, 2008

Palin is responsible for McCain's decline

Here. I have to say that Andrew's been saying that picking Palin was McCain's fatal mistake for ages now, and recent events have only vindicated him. What makes me wonder is this debate tonight. In one respect, cancelling Palin's debate might have been beneficial for Obama, since the public doesn't seem to care much for Palin anymore, and absent a major public event to redeem herself the course might never have been righted. So, she'll probably regain a little bit at the polls as a result of this debate, but probably not that much and not for long, because if she performs well, folks like Bill Kristol and Mitt Romney who have been pushing the whole "let Palin be Palin" meme will feel vindicated and demand more public appearances for Palin. And that's a surefire way to disaster.

At the end of the day, though, I trust the public to see through this, as they've seen through a lot of the malarkey this cycle. But I suspect that even if Palin manages a command performance she's not the only one on her ticket suffering profound problems of popularity.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.