Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Palin's presumptuousness

I think America will miss Sarah Palin in about two weeks, considering that she's great for boosting everyone's self-esteem (largely by making such a fool out of herself):
"Our opponents think that they have the women's vote all locked up, which is a little presumptuous," Palin said. "Little presumptuous, since only our side has a woman on the ticket."
Yes. Not nearly as presumptuous as thinking that the mere act of putting a woman on the ticket would make women defect to McCain in droves, though. I can't tell you how utterly sexist it is to insinuate that women will base their vote solely on "sisterhood", all the while abandoning all their principles. This definitely wasn't true of Clinton supporters. The sisterhood factor was just that--a factor--but Clinton was legitimately liberal on domestic policy and a credible president and more experienced, so there were other acceptable reasons to support her in conjunction with sisterhood.

This reminds me of the (long-abandoned) meme that Obama is presumptuous. Is this a sign that it's coming back? Like most McCain attacks this was simple transference. Obama is presumptuous because he had an emblem that looked like a presidential seal, while John McCain is sending emissaries to Georgia after the Russians pay a visit, already conducting his own foreign policy as though he were in 1600?

Obama has the audacity of hope, the other side has the audacity of a dope.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.