Wednesday, October 15, 2008

What do I think? Well, what do other people think?

Sam Boyd demystifies dial testing. I find this new trend of showing dial testing as being somehow vaguely insulting. It's sort of like a laugh track on a sitcom, which tells you what you're supposed to find funny. Then again, it's not like CNN is manufacturing this itself, and it is coming from actual people. I guess it's more like sitcoms filmed in front of a studio audience, then, which is still annoying but less fake.

Then again, I watch the debates online on C-Span.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.