Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Maybe he just likes corn?

Is McCain visiting Iowa again? This is a state that Obama has had locked up forever, and that he'll probably win by double digits. McCain isn't even seriously contesting it. Iowans don't even like McCain that much, which might be due to his avoiding the state like chicken pox during the 2000 and 2008 primaries, or maybe because back when he was flip-flopping on every issue to please the hard right he couldn't be bothered to become pro-ethanol. C'mon, John! In for a penny, in for a pound, no?

At what point is this going to become less of a presidential campaign and more of an opportunity for McCain to travel to fun places for a month? He could spend a week in Florida, do some events, and just lay on the beach. He could follow that up with a quick tip to picturesque New Hampshire, then he could head to California, visit San Diego and Orange County. California's probably about as competitive as Iowa these days.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.