Wednesday, October 1, 2008

What Ifill should do

So, the right has decided that Gwen Ifill is obviously biased and can't be trusted to moderate the debate. They decide this now. Not back when the moderators were picked for these debates. Not in 2004, when she moderated the VP debate. Now. Right before Sarah Palin undergoes this debate. I really hope that she junks the rules for the debates and aggressively follows up questions about the economy and such, as well as throwing a couple of curveballs. I'd be interested to see what Sarah Palin's views on net neutrality are, for example (just kidding, if she hasn't heard of Time Magazine she's probably not heard of the internet either). Now, obviously, such things could be biased if they are geared to, say, foreign policy arcana that a president could learn on the fly (and that Biden would know), since it's not necessary (nor possible) that a president know everything. But I think that Ifill ought to throw some curveballs in there.

Here's the thing: they don't even really have to be policy curveballs. Maybe ask her something like what her biggest mistake was and what she learned from it. Maybe ask her what she thought of the Sopranos finale. Maybe ask her what her favorite vice president was. This is a woman that, by all indications, has no clue. Force her into some spontaneity and she'll crumble, just like she has in the past.

The Man, The Myth, The Bio

East Bay, California, United States
Problem: I have lots of opinions on politics and culture that I need to vent. If I do not do this I will wind up muttering to myself, and that's only like one or two steps away from being a hobo. Solution: I write two blogs. A political blog that has some evident sympathies (pro-Obama, mostly liberal though I dissent on some issues, like guns and trade) and a culture blog that does, well, cultural essays in a more long-form manner. My particular thing is taking overrated things (movies, mostly, but other things too) down a peg and putting underrated things up a peg. I'm sort of the court of last resort, and I tend to focus on more obscure cultural phenomena.